Happily Ever After
Never once did I wonder if I was really happy
I assumed I was in those footsteps set before me
colored within the lines, said “I do” a thousand times
same refrain to friends and passers by
“Why yes I’m doing fine.”
Such a perfect picture I painted for the audience
perfect smiles and white picket fence pretense
busy going here and then family portraits everywhere
same refrain from friends and passers by
“Looks like your doing fine.”
There is no such thing as happy ever after
the sun just rises, you will wake move ahead
though dreams will die with the landscape changed forever
among the tears there will be a room for laughter.
It took but a glance sideways in a mirror
On a day that gravity held me down and began to whisper
Aren’t you tired of this play, don’t you long to pull away
refrain from the voice said,
“Looks like you’re just doing time.”
As I step my way passed the picket fence I wonder
how many women swim and how many have slipped under
faith in me so hard to do, I’ll keep faith in those who have been there too,
I cling to their refrain
“Looks like your doing fine”
There is no such thing as happy ever after
the sun just rises, you will wake move ahead
though dreams will die with the landscape changed forever
among the tears there will be a room for laughter, a room for laughter...
I assumed I was in those footsteps set before me
colored within the lines, said “I do” a thousand times
same refrain to friends and passers by
“Why yes I’m doing fine.”
Such a perfect picture I painted for the audience
perfect smiles and white picket fence pretense
busy going here and then family portraits everywhere
same refrain from friends and passers by
“Looks like your doing fine.”
There is no such thing as happy ever after
the sun just rises, you will wake move ahead
though dreams will die with the landscape changed forever
among the tears there will be a room for laughter.
It took but a glance sideways in a mirror
On a day that gravity held me down and began to whisper
Aren’t you tired of this play, don’t you long to pull away
refrain from the voice said,
“Looks like you’re just doing time.”
As I step my way passed the picket fence I wonder
how many women swim and how many have slipped under
faith in me so hard to do, I’ll keep faith in those who have been there too,
I cling to their refrain
“Looks like your doing fine”
There is no such thing as happy ever after
the sun just rises, you will wake move ahead
though dreams will die with the landscape changed forever
among the tears there will be a room for laughter, a room for laughter...
<< Home